Merry Christmas everyone! This is a Lemon Coconut Slice I baked for my family’s Christmas lunch. It’s going to be a hot summer’s day (31°C / 88°F), so I thought a cooler dessert was in order. I’ve included the recipe below, if anyone is interested:
-sweetened condensed milk (½ cup)
-milk arrowroot biscuits (250g)
-finely grated lemon rind (1 tablespoon)
-desiccated coconut (1 cup)
-icing sugar (¾ cup)
-lemon juice (3 tablespoons)
-desiccated coconut (2 tablespoons)
1) Crush the biscuits (very finely) into a big mixing bowl. I used a food processor for this, but if you don’t have one, I’m sure you can still do it by hand, or with a wooden spoon. Add a tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind (the yellow skin off the lemon), and 1 cup of desiccated coconut.
2) Place your condensed milk and 125 grams of butter into a saucepan, heat gently, and stir until the butter has melted and the mixture has combined.
3) Pour your warm milk-and-butter mixture into the biscuit crumb mixture, and mix together with a wooden spoon.
4) Press the mixture into a greased cake tin, and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
5) To make the icing, place 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 15 grams of soft butter into a bowl, and sift the icing sugar over the top. Mix this until it’s nice and smooth.
6) Using a spoon or warm knife, spread the icing evenly over the chilled biscuit base, and then sprinkle it with 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut. Return the slice to the refrigerator until the icing is set.
7) Cut into small squares, and serve.